GermGuardian has created an air purifier especially for homes with pets, packing it with four filters and anti-microbial treatment for killing nasty microscopic living things.
What kind of filters does the GermGuardian AC5250PT use? How does it improve homes with pets? What is the overall design and aesthetic like? How does it compare to other air purifiers? What do customers really think about the GermGuardian AC5250PT?
The answers await.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Interesting About the Germguardian AC5250PT?
- 2 What do Other Customers and Reviews Say?
- 3 Is it Really Banned in California?
- 4 What are the Technical Specifications?
- 5 How Do You Use it?
- 6 How Do You Clean it?
- 7 How Does it Compare to Other Models?
- 8 What is the Cost of Replacement Filters and Where to Get Them?
- 9 How Often Do Filters Need to be Changed and Can’t They Just be Cleaned?
- 10 Are There Other Replacement Parts, Where Do I Buy Them?
- 11 How Loud Is it?
- 12 What’s the Warranty?
- 13 Can I Buy a Refurbished One?
- 14 Can I Buy it From Other Retailers Such as Costco, Sears, Best Buy, or Bed Bath and Beyond?
- 15 What’s the Best Price for the Germguardian AC5250PT and Where Can I Buy it?
- 16 Verdict: Is This Air Purifier for You?
What Is Interesting About the Germguardian AC5250PT?
- The Germguardian Ac5250pt 3-in-1 Pet Pure True HEPA is a tall, slender air purifier with a tower-style design. It is mainly black, with a silver control panel and blue UV light strip. It’s attractive enough and slim enough to be suitable for pretty much all homes.
- It has four filter levels: pre-filter/carbon filter, Pet Pure HEPA filter, and the UV-C light.
- The HEPA filter has been treated with Pet Pure, an anti-microbial treatment to kill bugs such as mold and bacteria. This helps to stop mold from growing and helps to reduce and prevent odors created by bacteria growth. Great for homes with lots of furry friends running about.
- The UV-C light is for sanitization (zapping airborne germs), but it can be switched off if it’s not your kind of thing. The blue strip of light around the silver control panel at the top of the machine illuminates when the UV-C light is on. To turn the blue light off, you must turn off the UV-C light.
What do Other Customers and Reviews Say?
The 5-star section has 64%, the 1-star section has 9%. Not spectacular, but not horrific. Let’s investigate.
Reduces asthma/allergy symptoms: many thrilled customers have reported that the GermGuardian AC5250PT has drastically reduced their asthma and allergy symptoms. Positive reports include clearer noses, easier breathing, and restful sleep (due to the reduction in coughing and sniffling).
Reduces odor: many people have specifically mentioned that the GermGuardian AC5250PT has seriously reduced cat odors in their home. Others have said that their home is now totally free of pet smells, and has a fresh, clean smell to the air since using the air purifier.
Gathers lots of hair, dust, and dander: happy customers have left reviews explaining that the amount of pet hair and dust has been heavily reduced. They see far less of it floating in the air and settling on furniture, plus they see a huge amount gathered in the filters. This is great news, as it shows us that the GermGuardian AC5250PT is totally capable of doing exactly what it claims to do.
Stops working after a while: many of the reviews in the negative sections explain that the unit simply stops working and refuses to turn on after a short while.
Burning smell: some reviews tell of a burning smell coming from the unit, a few even describe billows of smoke.
Is it Really Banned in California?
Nope, if you take a look on the California Air Resources Board, you’ll find the Germguardian Ac5250pt 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System in the list of air purifiers which have been tested and accepted by the board. They do specify that this air purifier may emit ozone, but the level has been tested and deemed as safe.
What are the Technical Specifications?
|Recommended Room Area||Up to 180 square feet|
|Clean Air Delivery Rate? (CADR)||125+|
|Special Features/Settings|| |
|Filter Type||Pre-filter/carbon filter, true-HEPA filter with Pet Pure treatment filter, UV-C light|
|Energy Usage||Energy Star Qualified|
|Color||Black, silver, and blue|
|Noise Level (Db)||Quiet on low speeds, audible but still tolerable on high speed|
Dimensions and Weight
|Size||6.1 x 9.5 x 27.25 inches|
How Do You Use it?
It’s an easy machine to handle. When you first take it out of the box, find a spot for the air purifier with at least 1 foot of space around all sides of it. Plug it in, turn it on, and use the fan speed button to choose a speed between 1 and 5. Press the UV/C button to turn the UV/C light filter off or on. Then leave it to do its job.
When the HEPA filter needs to be replaced, you’ll hear a beeping noise for 30 seconds, and the filter replacement light will come on.
Apart from that, all you need to do is adjust the fan speeds as you see fit, and keep an eye on the filters regularly just to make sure they’re not getting too overloaded.
How Do You Clean it?
The HEPA filter and the carbon filter cannot be cleaned, except for a light vacuuming to remove built-up debris, but they must be replaced at least every 6 months. (Replace with theFLT5250pt, Filter C replacement pack).
How Does it Compare to Other Models?
Germguardian Ac5250pt Vs Ac4900
- The Germguardian Ac4900 has an HEPA filter, charcoal filter, and a UV-C light, but it doesn’t have Pet Pure anti-microbial treatment like the 5250pt
- The Ac4900 has a recommended room area of 150 square feet, which is less than the 5250pt’s 180 square feet
- The Ac4900 has 3 speeds, the 5350pt has 5
- The Ac4900 is 22-inches high, smaller than the 5250pt which is 28-inches high
- They both have a filter change indicator light
- The 4900 is not specifically for pets, it is for general air cleaning and allergen removal
The Ac4900 is a simpler air purifier, with fewer fan speeds and no anti-microbial treatment. The Ac4900 is cheaper than the 5250pt, and caters to smaller rooms.
Germguardian Ac5250pt Vs Ac5000E
- The Ac5000E is basically the same as the 5250pt, except that it doesn’t have the Pet Pure anti-microbial treatment
- Another difference is that the 5000E has 3 fan speeds, the 5250pt has 5 speeds
- They both have a true-HEPA filter, charcoal/pre-filter, and a UV-C light
- They’re both 28-inches tall and are made for rooms up to 180 square feet
- The 5000E is slightly cheaper than the 5250pt
You can use the 5250pt filter pack (the one with the Pet Pure treatment) in the 5000E air purifier.
Germguardian Ac5250pt Vs Ac5350b Elite
- The Ac5350b Elite is designed for rooms up to 167 square feet, slightly less than the 5250pt which is for up to 180 square feet
- The Ac5350b Elite is a tower design, but it is more angular than the 5250pt
- Both models are 28-inches tall
- Both models have 5 fan speeds
- The Ac5350b Elite has a slightly fancier looking digital display screen
- Both models have an HEPA filter, pre/charcoal filter and optional UV-C light filter
- The Ac5350b Elite doesn’t come with the Pet Pure treatment filter, but you can swap the filters out for the 5250pt filter replacement C to get the Pet Pure treatment
- Both models have filters which need to be replaced at least every 6 months
Very similar models, with slight differences in aesthetics and room size suitability. The Ac5350B Elite is very slightly more expensive than the 5250pt (only by about $10 give or take, so it’s not a big deal).
Germguardian Ac5250pt Vs Germguardian Ac4825
- The Ac4825 is for rooms up to 167 square feet, slightly less than the 5250pt which is for rooms up to 180 square feet
- The Ac4825 is 22-inches tall, the 5250pt is 28-inches tall
- Both models have an HEPA filter, pre/charcoal filter, and optional UV-C light filter
- The Ac4825 uses replacement filters in the “B” group, not the “C” group which the 5250pt uses, therefore you can’t put the Pet Pure filters into the Ac4825
- The Ac4825 has 3 fan speeds, the 5250pt has 5
- The Ac4825 is a fair bit cheaper than the 5250pt
The Ac4825 is a smaller, simpler model with fewer fan speeds and no Pet Pure treatment filter. It’s best for smaller rooms.
What is the Cost of Replacement Filters and Where to Get Them?
You can find the replacement filters on Amazon, and also on the GermGuardian website. The replacement filters aren’t actually too expensive, compared to some other air purifiers. They won’t cost you more than $40, (that’s not including any shipping costs you may encounter). You can find them on Amazon and on the GermGuardian website.
Note: the correct filter replacements for the Germguardian Ac5250pt 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System are the FLT5250pt, Filter C replacements
You can also use the FLT5000, Filter C replacement pack, but it doesn’t have the Pet Pure filter on the HEPA filter.
How Often Do Filters Need to be Changed and Can’t They Just be Cleaned?
The manual suggests that the true-HEPA and carbon filters will need to be changed every 6 months, but this may vary depending on the usage of the air purifier, and the condition of the air.
No, you can’t wash the true-HEPA and carbon filters, they must be replaced. However, you can give the carbon filter a light once-over with the vacuum cleaner in between replacements, to remove excess debris and extend the lifespan a bit.
Note: there are lights to indicate when you need to change both the HEPA filter and the UV-C light bulb.
Are There Other Replacement Parts, Where Do I Buy Them?
The only other part available to buy is the replacement UV-C light. Look for the model number LB5000. You can find one on the GermGuardian website.
How Loud Is it?
The verdict on sound levels with the Germguardian Ac5250pt 3-in-1 Digital Air Cleaning System is varied. Some people find the higher speed levels to be too loud, while some find the noise to be completely tolerable. Most people concede that the low and medium speeds are really quiet, while the higher speed is louder.
What’s the Warranty?
5-year limited warranty
Can I Buy a Refurbished One?
There are some listings for refurbished ac5250pt models on Amazon, with positive reviews at that, but there doesn’t seem to be any available currently. You can also buy refurbished ac5250pt models (and other models) straight from the GermGuardian website.
Can I Buy it From Other Retailers Such as Costco, Sears, Best Buy, or Bed Bath and Beyond?
- Costco: they don’t have the ac5250pt, but they have the ac5000
- Sears: no sign of the ac5250pt, but they have the ac5350B
- Best Buy: no ac5250pt, but they have the ac5000E
- Bed Bath & Beyond: yes, they currently have the ac5250pt
What’s the Best Price for the Germguardian AC5250PT and Where Can I Buy it?
Check with Amazon regularly to catch any sales or specials. Otherwise, Bed Bath & Beyond is another option.
Verdict: Is This Air Purifier for You?
The Germguardian Ac5250pt 3-in-1 Pet Pure True HEPA air purifier is an attractive air purifier for rooms up to 180 square feet. Judging by the positive reviews, it does what it promises to do: reduces odors, reduces allergy symptoms, and generally clears the air for a fresher environment. However, there are a few little issues arising concerning the unit shutting off and sometimes emitting a smoky smell.
Despite this, I would still recommend this air purifier for people with pets, as the filter systems are effective and comprehensive. If you don’t mind purchasing replacement filters at least every 6 months, then I would put this high on your air purifier shortlist.